Powered air purifying respirators, filtering respiratory protection
Powered air purifying respirators are the highest level of filtering respiratory protection. Contrary to classical gas masks, they are positive pressure devices. It means that the respiratory effort is lower because it is not made by the wearer but by a motor sending a constant flow of filtered air into the face piece (mask, hood, welding screen). It is, therefore, better to use devices for strenuous, tiring, long-duration work or interventions in environments with high heat.
The Phantom Vision is a ventilated mask with a lightweight, high-performance brushless motor implanted directly in the facepiece. An external connector, located on the mask, powers the engine via a cable to a belt-mounted lithium-ion battery. The particles filter or combined one is directly set on the face piece.
- Powered air purifying mask with an almost total field of view (98%) without distortion
- Brushless motor for reliable, quiet operation throughout the work shift
- Delivers up to 160 liters of airflow per minute for at least 8 hours
- Available in 3 sizes to fit the numerous users
- CE certification to EN 12942, class TM3
The powered air purifying mask Proflow 2 SC is a compact, lightweight respiratory protective equipment that provides 160 L/min of airflow to reduce respiratory stress and provide optimum comfort during long working periods, especially in hot environments. The industry and asbestos removal sectors widely use it.
- 160 l/min powered air purifying mask reducing respiratory stress for long duration work
- Sealed construction and downward facing filters for easy decontamination operations
- Up to 10 hours of autonomy (waterproof battery and fast charging)
- Visual display and alarm for state of charge and clogging of filters (particles)
- Delivered complete, ready to use in its protective box
The T-Air is an economical, sleek, and modern powered air purifying respirator. It can be combined with a wide selection of filters and face pieces, and is suitable for long-term works. A triple warning system ensures total safety throughout use (up to 10 hours of continuous use): air flow, clogging (particles), and low battery alarm.
- Battery-powered air purifying respirator for heavy or long duration work
- Wide range of facepieces available: full face mask, chemical hood, face shield with helmet or welding hood
- Made of chemical and impact-resistant ABS
- Battery life > 10 hours with 3 hours charging time
- High protection rating IP65
Available in standard or ATEX versions, the X-plore 8000 is a powered air purifying device designed for daily use in hazardous conditions, including in explosive areas. It is available with a wide range of face pieces (masks, hoods, helmets with visors, welding shields, etc.), and combines performance, safety, and comfort.
- High-performance powered air purifying respirator available in standard (X-plore 8500) or ATEX (X-plore 8700) versions
- Modular and versatile with many facepieces available depending on the application
- Operating time from 4 to 20 hours depending on system configuration
- Wide range of filters against many gases, vapors, and particles
- Two alarm levels with differentiation of the risk level
The powered air purifying welding helmet X-plore 8500S is suitable for all types of arc welding (especially low-amperage TIG), plasma welding (welding and cutting), spot welding, and grinding. It combines both ocular protection and respiratory protection against particles emissions and toxic fumes releases.
- High comfort welding helmet with a sober and elegant design integrating a self-darkening welding filter ADF 9 to 13
- Less breathing effort thanks to the motor that sends filtered and purified air directly into the welding helmet
- EN 12941 - TH2 approved in combination with X-plore 8500
- Perfect for long and hard work
- Adjustable, removable anti-perspiration band
The DUCT A ECO is a fresh air respirator that draws clean air through an electric motor outside the work area. It is a simple, fully self-contained process requiring no special training. It has been designed for use in environments with lack of oxygen or in confined spaces such as tanks, reservoirs, silos, wells, sewers, etc.
- Outdoor fresh air respirator, without compressed air cylinder or breathing air compressor
- Simple and economical solution requiring no special training or special skills
- Air supply hose: up to 60 m for one wearer, 30 m for two wearers
- Compatible with RD DIN 40 masks following EN 148-1
- Approvals EN 138 : 1994 & EU regulation 2016/425
Powered air purifying respirators
Powered air purifying respirators are more elaborate filtering respiratory protection devices. They are composed of a face piece (mask, hood, welding shield), one or more respiratory protection filters (particulate, anti-gas, or combined), a light motor, and a ringed hose. A motorized fan delivers the filtered air directly into the face piece via the corrugated hose leading to a lower breathing effort. The main advantage of a positive pressure filtering respiratory protection system is the reduction in breathing effort.
Therefore we would prefer using powered air purifying respirators for strenuous, tiring, long-duration work or interventions in hot environments. In addition, the overpressure generated in powered air purifying masks guarantees a nominal protection factor much higher than with a conventional gas mask.
Hoods & powered air purifying respirators
Hoods are manufactured in a flexible material, resistant to certain corrosive gases. They cover the whole head and have a wide field of vision. The powered air purifying hoods have an air distribution device for more comfort.
Powered air purifying masks
Powered air purifying respirators are the preferred facepiece when polluting concentrations exceed 40 times the OEL (8-hour occupational exposure limit value). The air sent through the powered air purifying respirator arrives directly near the respiratory tract, avoiding drying of the ocular mucous membranes.
The filtration performance of powered air purifying respirators depends on the tightness of the complete device (face piece, motor, and filter). A letter (hood family) associated with a number (tightness level of the powered ventilation device) indicate them.
Tightness is measured as the percentage of leakage of "polluting gas" into the facepiece. The "polluting particles" are designated by the letters PSL (for solid and liquid particles) without mentioning an efficiency class:
TH (Turbo Hood) for hood-type facepieces
- TH1 stops 90% of aerosols (i.e. 10% penetration)
- TH2 stops 98% of aerosols (i.e. 2% penetration)
- TH3 stops 99.8% of aerosols (i.e. 0.2% penetration)
TM (Turbo Mask) for facepieces such as mask or half-mask
- TM1 stops 95% of aerosols (i.e. 5% penetration)
- TM2 stops 99.5% of aerosols (i.e. 0.5% penetration)
- TM3 stops 99.95% of aerosols (i.e. 0.05% penetration)
⇒ Find the respiratory protection filter for powered air purifying devices
Limits of use of powered air purifying respirators
Do never use filtering respiratory protection under the following conditions:
- Ambient oxygen level < 19%
- In confined spaces or all areas with little or no ventilation: tanks, tunnels, boat holds, etc.
- When the concentration of the contaminant is unknown or immediately lethal to humans (IDLH)
- When the concentration of the contaminant is above the maximum allowable concentration or beyond the capacity of the filter
In these situations, it will be necessary to use an self-contained breathing apparatus.