Fall protection, safety harness for work at height
A fall protection device is mandatory when there is a risk of falling. Many sectors of activity must deal with the risk of falls from heights, such as construction, public works or work on pylons or wind turbines. The water and sanitation sector also requires fall protection equipment for work in confined spaces with the CATEC system. Find in this space a wide range of reliable and comfortable fall arrest equipment and solutions: safety harnesses, fall arrest devices, automatic return reels with webbing or cable, safety tripods, etc.
The Pack & GO is a two-point safety harness with an integrated carry bag for optimal storage. It complies with the EN 361 standard (Personal Protective Equipment against falls from a height). The equipment innovates with its anti-garrot buckles on the thighs that reduce the effort made on the wearer during a fall (compression of the femoral artery).
- A safety harness with an integrated reversible transport bag featured a comfortable backrest
- Complies with standard EN 361 (PPE against falls from a height)
- Two attachment points: 1 sternal point on the textile buckle and one dorsal point on metal "D"
- Patented anti-groin buckles (avoids compression of the femoral artery)
- Shoulder straps setting from below using male/female quick release buckles
The NUS65A is a fall arrest and rescue harness with two attachment points. This fall protection harness combines both safety and comfort with automatic buckles and padded thigh straps. The anti-withers loops located on the thighs also prevent compression of the femoral artery in the event of a fall.
- Polyvalent safety harness for fall arrest and rescue in accordance with the standards EN361 (work at heights) and EN1497 (safety harness)
- 2 attachment point : 2 sternal points on a textile loop to be connected together and 1 dorsal point on a metal "D
- Available options: removable belt and comfort backrest, extension strap, etc
- Easy adjustment of tights and shoulder straps with quick buckles
- Comfort pads on padded thigh straps
Suitable for all types of work at height, the VIT'O fall arrest safety harness combines comfort, lightness, and safety. It adapts easily to all morphologies thanks to its high-performance adjustment and automatic locking systems. It complies with EN 361 (personal protective equipment against falls from a height) and EN 1497 (rescue harness) standards.
- Fall arrest safety harness for work at height in compliance with EN 361 (work-at-height) and EN 1497 (rescue harness)
- Water-repellent polyester main and bavarian straps with automatic sternum buckles
- Two attachment points: sternal on two strap rings and dorsal on metal "D"
- Comfortable shorts with padding to limit pressure on the groin area
- Plastic-coated belt back for easy cleaning
The VIT’O TEC safety harness is specially designed for all types of work in confined spaces, particularly in the framework of the CATEC® measures (french Certificate of ability to work in confined spaces). It has a back attachment with a very practical strap and two sternal hooking points with strap rings. It also has a specific ergonomic belt for wearing the self-rescue mask.
- Fall arrest and rescue harness for interventions in confined spaces in the framework of the CATEC measures
- Sternal attachment on 2 strap rings also used for rescue operations and dorsal attachment on metal D
- Automatic buckle and closure indicator adjusting the thigh straps and belt
- Large polypropylene back plate for easy cleaning
- Easy sliding of the self-rescue mask from back to front
The NUSL ECO is a polyvalent and economical fall arrest harness for “occasional” works at height. It is available in two versions: the NUSL1 ECO with only one dorsal attachment point on “D” adapted for works on scaffolding or nacelle and the NUSL2 ECO with two attachment points, one dorsal and one sternal on strap, adapted for most work at height.
- “Economical” safety harness for works at height, conforming to EN 361 (requirements for fall arrest harnesses)
- Available in two versions: 1 attachment point (dorsal) NUSL1 ECO or 2 attachment points (sternal + dorsal) NUSL2 ECO
- Options: comfort backrest, extension straps, removable lanyard-holder
- Simultaneous setting of shoulder and thigh straps with quick metal buckles
- 44 mm wide polyester main straps (R > 27 kN)
The MEWP safety harness kit includes the essential elements for all interventions on aerial work platforms. It consists of the NUSL1 ECO fall arrest harness with a single "D" back attachment point in accordance with the EN 361 standard, a connection lanyard in accordance with the EN 354 standard to be connected to the anchoring point of the platform, and a practical transport bag.
- Complete kit for work at height on platforms and aerial work platforms including a fall arrest harness, a connection lanyard, and a transport bag
- Fall arrest harness with a back attachment point on a metal "D" to be connected to the anchor point of the platform
- Class M connectors against corrosion and equipped with an automatic clasp
- 44 mm wide polyester main straps
- One size fits all, validated by tests at 140 kg
The scaffolding fall arrest harness includes the essential elements for all interventions at height on scaffold. It is composed of the NUSL1 ECO safety harness with a single “D” back attachment in compliance with EN361 standard, a double lanyard conforming to EN354 standard with an energy absorber and a carrying bag with shoulder straps.
- Complete kit for work on scaffolding including a safety harness, a double lanyard with energy absorber and a transport bag
- Safety harness with one back attachment point on metal "D" or on a 30 cm long extension strap
- Aluminum alloy connectors (T class) with clasp and automatic locking
- Double halyard lanyard with energy absorber
- Wide polyester straps width 44 mm
The roof safety harness kit includes the essential elements for every intervention at height for carpenter, roofers, zinc workers or chimney sweepers. It is composed of the NUSL2 ECO fall arrest harness with 2 attachment points (sternal + dorsal) in compliance with the EN361 standard, a mobile fall arrest with energy absorber, a strap ring and a storage and transport bag.
- Complete kit for work on roofs including the harness, a fall arrester with energy absorber, a strap ring and a transport bag
- 2 attachment point harness: 2 sternal points on textile buckle to be connected together and 1 dorsal point on metal "D"
- Energy absorber with integrated halyard lanyard and removable connector
- Polyester strap ring width 21 mm
- One size fits all, validated by tests at 140 kg
The NTREALU2 safety tripod is a transportable temporary anchoring device that is quick and easy to set up. The additional anchor points under the head allow the attachment of a winch and/or pulleys for automatic fall arrest and rescue system. The bases are linked by a strap that ensures the rigidity of the system regardless of the wheelbase.
- Safety tripod for work in confined spaces: access to underground pipes, manholes, tanks, silos
- Reinforced aluminum telescopic legs equipped with a non-slip pin for use on slippery surfaces
- Strap to maintain the legs for better stability of the unit
- Adjustable height from 1472 to 2295 mm with a load capacity of 200 kg
- Complies with EN 795 (anchorage devices) and EN 1496 (rescue devices)
The self-retracting reel, ideally with an energy absorber - called also fall stop - is a quick-release braking system that stops a fall in a cushioned and non-violent manner. It is available with a strap specifically designed for work at height, or with a cable (more resistant) for harsh or severe areas such as manholes (cutting risks).
- Automatic fall stop with energy absorber with strap or cable following EN 360 standard (self-retracting reel fall arrest)
- Locked automatically and restrains the operator to avoid falling to the ground
- Strap version: High-density polyethylene lanyard, width 25 mm in 2 or 5 m depending on model (EDGE)
- Cable version: Highly resistant steel cable of 10, 15, and 20 m (NCS or NSTS)
- Swivel connector and automatic locking with a drop indicator
Fall arrest equipment is a class 3 PPE (personal protective equipment protecting against serious or lethal risks) subject to regulation. It is composed of 3 inseparable elements: a safety harness, a connection system (fall arrest lanyard, self-retracting rewinder, lifeline) and an anchor point.
The fall arrest safety harness
It is the most important element of fall protection. It consists of straps, buckles and other elements arranged so that it can be adjusted appropriately on the body of the person, to maintain it in case of fall while distributing the loads it generates.
It must be as comfortable as possible with the foam reinforcements in the legs and shoulders, this is an aspect that should not be neglected. wide straps with horizontal thighs are to be preferred because they are more comfortable for the user with less impact on the femoral artery in case of a fall.
Depending on the type of activity and the work environment, there are several types of safety harnesses that comply with current European fall protection standards.
The fall arrest harness (EN 361 standard)
It is a body gripping device intended to receive a possible fall and maintain the wearer in the best conditions while waiting for help. The anchor points are located in the sternal and dorsal position in case of a fall, the wearer remains in the most vertical position possible.
It is a 2 attachment point harness, so it is not suitable for work positioning, nor for work on suspended ropes.
The fall arrest and work positioning harness (EN 361 & EN 358 standards)
The fall arrest and work positioning harness is designed to stop a fall thanks to the dorsal or sternal attachment points and the wearer will be supported on the 2 side attachment points to connect a work positioning lanyard and ensure the wearer better balance.
This is a 4 point harness but in reality a 3 point harness because the two side hooks can’t be used separately.
Fall arrest, work positioning and suspension harness (standards EN 361, EN 358 and EN 813)
The fall arrest, work positioning and suspension harness has all the anchorages of the previous one with, in addition, a ventral point for rescue and suspension. Is is a 5 point harness suitable for most interventions (fall arrest, work positioning, work in suspension, rescue) with the exception of rescue interventions in confined spaces (CATEC* measure).
*French Certificate of Ability to Work in Confined Spaces in the fields of drinking water and sanitation
Evacuation harness (EN 1497)
The evacuation harness takes the basis of the 5-points harness with addition in addition 2 buckles on the shoulders allowing to lower a person into or out of a confined space. It is the most complete safety harness!
The energy binding and absorption system
The binding and absorption system is used to connect the safety harness to the anchor point (energy absorbing lanyards, self-retracting reels rope slides, etc.). To a certain extent, it is like the safety belt of the fall protection system. There are 2 categories of connection devices:
- The fall restrain: it is a device that prevents operators from exposing themselves to danger. This kind of protection is intended to limit the user’s movement in order to prevent them from reaching areas where a fall can occur. It is not able to arrest a fall from a height and should not be confused with a fall arrest system, although it is implemented with components which may appear similar.
- The fall arrest: These systems are intended to allow a user to reach areas or positions where there is a risk of falling. They must therefore stop this fall if it occurs, and then ensure the suspension of the operator after the fall has been stopped. Below, the different fall arrest systems available:
Fall arrest lanyard with energy absorber
This binding system is composed of a lanyard with a maximum length of 2m and 2 connectors. When used on a static anchor point, the lanyard must include an energy absorber.
Stop-fall or self-retracting rewinder
The self-retracting rewinder - more commonly known as stop-fall - is used as a component in binding systems of the safety harness to a static anchor point. It is a better alternative to the lanyard with an energy absorber. It is a retractable lanyard wound on a drum with an automatic tension and return system, and an automatic locking function in case of a fall. It's the same principle as a seat belt!
Most reels are designed to operate in a vertical cone of 30° maximum below the anchor point which limits their conditions of use. They must comply with the EN 360 standard.
The anchor point
For each type of job, structure and industry, there are different types of anchor: tripods, strap buckles, anchor points for European standard I-beams, fixed eyelets, etc. All anchors must provide a secure attachment point - regardless of the support (steel, concrete, walls, roofs, etc.) and must be able to withstand the constraints of the fall protection system.
These devices are often permanently attached to a building (flat roofs, sloping roofs, facade, concrete beams, etc.) or to an infrastructure (machines, tracks, cranes, wind turbines, etc.). Combined with fall protection, they can be used as a safety system.
Anchorage devices can be designed as fall prevention retention solutions or as fall arrest systems. There are two main types of anchoring devices:
- Rigid anchor points: these are single anchor points with a single eyelet
- Mobile anchor points: these are lifelines or rail securing systems. The user attaches himself to it by using a slider or a fall arrest carriage. The user can then move freely on certain sections or along the entire length of the anchoring device.
Periodical check of the fall protection equipments
The class 3 PPE - such as the fall protection equipment - corresponds to the equipment that protects against serious and lethal risks.
For obvious reasons of personal safety, they should be visually inspected before each use and a more detailed periodical check should be made at least once a year at an authorized service center.
Each verification takes into account different compliance criteria such as the proper functioning of the equipment, the general condition, the clarity of the marking and, in some cases, the expiration date of the product. The storage conditions are also examined.